The library strives to serve the citizens of DeSoto Parish by providing materials and technology to meet their needs. Each library location offers desktop computers with Internet access for patron use. Early literacy stations are also available for younger children.
Registered patrons in good standing with the DeSoto Parish Library are encouraged to use the Internet workstations for the following purposes:
- Research and educational information
- Unstructured navigation ‘surfing’ of the Internet to locate sites of interest and to hone usage skills
- Downloading of public domain software
Registered patrons may not use the workstations in the following situations:
- Illegal, unauthorized, unethical or commercial purposes
- Manipulation of internal hardware and/or software, including uploading of any software
- Transmission or downloading of any material in violation of state or federal laws including the following:
- Sending, receiving or displaying text or graphics which may be reasonably construed as obscene
- Copying or downloading any material in violation of copyright law.
- Age Limit: Children under the age of 14 will be required to have a parent or adult guardian present when using the workstation.
- Time: Because of the limited number of workstations, time limits may be imposed when demand is high.
- Costs: There is no cost to access the workstation. However, patrons shall assume printing cost at the rate of 15 cents per page.
- General: Report any problems with equipment or software immediately to the library staff. Make no attempt to repair or correct computer malfunctions on your own. Any files that have been downloaded or saved onto the computer will automatically be deleted at the next machine restart.
Workstation use is a privilege and should be treated as such by all users of the system. Library staff has the right to determine the appropriateness of workstation use and can at any time monitor its use and, if necessary, require a patron to leave a workstation. Prohibited use will result in a loss of workstation privileges. In accordance with the library’s general policy, appeals of such loss should be addressed in writing to the library director. Perpetrators of malicious damage to the system will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Please contact the branch manager at your preferred location for more information.