The Pelican Branch Library is holding a “Big Buck Contest” from October 1, 2021, until the end of deer season, January 31, 2022. No pre-registration is required and there is no fee to enter. If you would like to enter your trophy buck, simply bring a photo with your name and phone number to the Pelican Library, 145 Jackson Street, Pelican, during our business hours Monday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.; email photo to firstname.lastname@example.org, post it to our Facebook page: DeSoto Parish Library (while you are there, click like!) or text a photo to 318-461-3711.
We would love to know the story of your harvest! Tell us what you used to take your buck down…bow, rifle, primitive firearm, etc.; if it dropped in an instant or if it took some time to track it. We love the details! The largest buck taken will win $100!!!!
Thanks to the generosity of Mr. Nick Shoalmire, last year’s Big Buck Contest winner, we will be having a 12 and under category as well! The largest buck taken by someone under 12 years old will win $100 and the largest buck taken by someone over 12 years old will win $100!
If you need a little help with your hunt (whether it is tips or instructions on how to improve what you are already doing or you want to try something completely new) stop and check out our selection of books, magazines and DVD’s. Some titles include: “Outdoor Life” magazine, “Deer and Deer Hunting’s Guide to Better Bow Hunting”, “1001 Hunting Tips” by Lamar Underwood; “Deer and Deer Hunting” by Al Hofacker; “The Complete Book of Hunting” by David E. Petzal; “The Total Gun Manual” by David E. Petzal; “Nature, the Private Life of Deer” DVD; and many more. We also have lots of great books on how to prepare and process wild game such as: “The Wild Chef” by Jonathan Miles; “Grillin’ Wild” by Rick Browne; “Field Dressing and Butchering Deer” by Monte Burch; and, “Sausage: Recipes for Making and Cooking Homemade Sausage” by Victoria Wise.
It’s open season at the library! Steady your sight and shoot straight! Call Kriston Newsom, Branch Manager, at 318-755-2353 for more information.
BIG BUCK CONTEST RULES
October 1, 2021, to January 31, 2022
1. Deer must be a whitetail buck and killed in DeSoto Parish, Sabine Parish, or outlying areas within the days of October 1, 2021, and January 31, 2022.
2. Pictures of bucks killed within a deer-proof fence or any other confined areas are not eligible.
3. The pictures of the winning deer will be published on Facebook and desotoparishlibrary.org. Winners will also be sent for publication in the newspaper.
4. Hunters violating Game Laws are disqualified and barred from entering this contest.
5. No more than one prize will be awarded to any registered hunter and only one entry per person.
6. Tie breakers will be determined by spread, largest measured spread will win.
Shoot Straight and the best of luck!